Thursday, March 3, 2011

Lucky Dog Treats

honest, they're dog treats !
So my son was invited to a dog's birthday party this Sunday (seriously, a DOG ??), and wanted to bring a gift. Unfortunately, my son has a crazy foodie for a mom, so I of course suggested something homemade...'cause that's just how I roll. Alex rose to the occasion, though, and made these. I have a large cookie cutter collection, but I think the shamrocks spoke to him since it's March and all. So...Lucky Dog Treats ! I have to say, my house smells really, really good after baking these...those dogs must be on to something !

Adapted from from www.dogtreatkitchen.com (seriously !)

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup cornmeal
  • 1 Tbsp canola oil
  • 1/4 cup beef or chicken broth
  • 1 egg
  • 1/8 cup milk
  • 1 egg, beaten for egg wash

Additional flour for rolling

Instructions:
 
Preheat oven to 350° F
Whisk together wheat flour and cornmeal.
Add oil, broth, eggs and milk.
Mix until thoroughly combined.
Roll out dough on a well-floured surface to 1/4" thickness.
Cut into shapes with cookie cutters, and place on ungreased cookie sheet.

Brush the egg wash onto each biscuit. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.


Yield: Approximately 2 dozen dog biscuits using a 2" cookie cutter.

Storing: will last for 4 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.

1 comment:

  1. Whoooof, girl! That's awesome! Alex is a lucky (get it, shamrocks?)boy and so is the canine on the receiving end of the gift. Way cool.

    ReplyDelete