Monday, February 20, 2012

Buttermilk-Pumpkin Waffles


Necessity is truly the mother of invention. A day off from work and I was all set to get up and make a mess of truffled scrambled eggs (my new addiction...got some wonderful truffle salt for Christmas from a coworker, and I've been putting it on everything. It does things to scrambled eggs that should be illegal). However, my overstuffed fridge somehow only yielded two eggs. Woe.


On top of the fridge, however, was a stash of pancake mix. I know I keep saying I'm not a mix person, and I'm not - but pancake mix is actually some pretty useful stuff (mixed with beer it makes a killer deep fry batter), so we do usually have some around. So I decided on lazy woman's blueberry-pecan waffles...only to find I didn't have any blueberries either. Back to woe. 



I did, however, have many cans of pumpkin. (I keep meaning to try my hand at pumpkin creme brulee, but things like work and life keep getting in the way.) I've made pumpkin waffles before - basically by substituting pumpkin for water , same way I make eggnog waffles. (Like I said, we always have some mix around). Last time, though, they were a wee bit heavy, and I wanted to try and lighten them up but not lose that delicious pumpkin flavor.  In my fridge exploration I also found some buttermilk I needed to use up, and figured that was the little sumthin-sumthin my waffles might be looking for. Score. Light, fluffy, pumpkiny, spicy - just what I wanted. Relaxing breakfast in pj's achieved.


Buttermilk-Pumpkin Waffles

2 cups "complete" pancake mix
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tblsp vegetable oil

Mix ingredients well with a whisk, and cook in a waffle maker according to the manufacturer's directions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment